Monday, September 29, 2008

The Caribou-Targhee Challenge

Today was that day that I was determined to achieve my plan of conquering the Caribou-Targhee National Forest. I planned my journey well using the USDA Forest Service Caribou-Targhee National Forest Palisades and Tetons Ranger Districts Map. This is a detailed map with all the motorized trials, their lenghts, and includes contour lines to indicate altitude.
I arrived at my staging area and got all ready to go. I soon left an went on some quick trails to Table Rock Canyon which brought me to the beautiful Snake river.

I Motored along the snake river slowly to enjoy the great views and to conserve gas. The main road along the snake river ended as it turned up Black Canyon and turned into the Black canyon trail. This trail is really a lot of fun! with multiple stream crossings and weaving in and out of trees. I had a blast.

Once I traveled about 3 miles on this trail it begins to make the final climb towards Chicken peak( altitude: 8,418 ft). The trail up is fairly difficult with a few switch backs and mostly single track on a very steep hillside where there is no room for error. It also took me through some beautiful groves of trees with thick underbrush (below).

Once I made it to the top of Chicken Peak I was Treated with an amazing view!
I then Pulled out the map and quickly spotted my next two destinations, Liars Peak (altitude 8,656 ft.), and off in the distance Piney Peak (altitude 9,018ft.) The trails between these peaks were very technical, steep, and rocky. When It wasn't technical, steep, and rocky it was very narrow (see bellow). The next two photos are from the trail that wraps around Liars Peak









I continued on to Piney peak which of the three peaks was the largest at 9,018 ft. Getting to the top was a blast and rewarding when I got to the top. There was a great view of the famous Teton Mountian Range.
After leaving Piney Peak I began my descent down to the bottom of a canyon an back up to a ridge which lead me to moody meadow and the road that would lead me back to where I parked. It was a great adventure which made me feel as if I conquered the Caribou-Targhee National Forest by making it to three of the highest peaks open to motorized vehicles and cutting accross nearly 50 miles of this National Forest.

4 comments:

Ken said...

very cool! wish i had been there to ride with you. great pictures and write up.

dad

Lisa K said...

wow, beautiful country. I wish your dad had been with you too! Now I just have to say it because I am your mother. Be safe, tell someone where you are going, don't do anything crazy, and have fun.

Sean, Stacey and McKenzie said...

I love the pictures you took. That view is so pretty! I'm glad you were able to go have an adventure and that you came home safe. I love you sweetheart!

Scott H. said...

Sean those are some great pics, that place looks beautiful. Nice blog...